The NextMind Brain Computer Interface relies on NeuroTags that are overlayed over visual objects and induce a specific neural response in the user’s brain. We suggest the following guidelines to get best results from the neural decoding algorithms:
- Stand still: During calibration, avoid moving or talking to get best results, as the device is quite sensitive to motion. During apps, movement can be tolerated to a certain extent.
- Use in calm conditions: As the NextMind technology relies on visual focus, make sure the environment is fairly quiet and without sudden changes in lighting, as they may cause strong brain responses that might interfere.
- Framerate matters: The display needs to be in sync with the NextMind engine. Therefore, it is critical to keep a constant framerate (e.g. 60fps) in your apps, with vertical sync mode enabled. Make sure that it is not disabled in your GPU preferences.
- Use a single display: Keep the same kind of display during the experience (for example, avoid calibrating on a desktop monitor then switching to a VR headset).
Using the Device
- Recalibrate if necessary: We do not recommend starting the experience if the calibration score is lower than 3 (out of 5). Instead, we suggest that you slightly adjust the headset and contact to obtain optimal signal quality.
- If you ever move the Sensor, recalibrate: Performance can be affected if you move the device on your head. When that happens, we advise to recalibrate.
- Size is critical: A good NeuroTag spans about 3.33 degrees of vision (which represents a circle with a diameter of 150px on a 24″ 1080p screen, 70cm away). Check this online tool for more information. Note that this is only a reference, as larger (or differently shaped) surfaces should work just as well, or even better. However, very small NeuroTags might be harder to activate.
- Use the default validation system: We do not recommend creating your own validation system using feedback values.
- If you use custom NeuroTags:
- Make sure that all the NeuroTags use the same stimulation behaviour
- Use the same NeuroTags in the calibration and in your apps
- Do not introduce additional delay in the NeuroTag activity as the NextMind engine is sensitive to timing
- If you use a custom calibration: make sure your NeuroTags are fully visible.